What I've Been Doing Instead of Looking at Facebook

Last year during Lent, I was only using Instagram and had been off of Facebook for a couple of years. I decided to take the 40 days off of social media. I wrote a zine during that time, and it was really fruitful. Then I got back on FB that June; at first, it was only to participate in private groups but it wasn't long before I was all in - and wasting a lot of time.

For the past month, I've stayed off FB/Twitter/Instagram, and thought I'd record what I've been up to.
I have:
  • resurrected this blog from the dead - changing the template, tweaking the code, and importing some posts that were missing
  • learned how to crochet - I know 3 types of stitches, though my edges are always wonky. Crochet is great for people with phone addictions, because it keeps your hands busy with something purposeful.
  • planted in my gardens - we have some new azaleas and a peach tree. I've started some other flower seeds, and will be getting my Tower Garden stocked this week with lettuces and spinach.
  • enjoyed a break from business, but then more than doubled the amount of listings I offered - designing many new shirts.
  • been playing my acoustic guitar
  • recommitted my heart to my kids and our home life
  • homeschooled my children consistently - I shared in more detail a couple of posts ago, but we are totally back to basics around here and I love it 
  • felt closer to God and the workings of the Spirit in my life
  • read some books
  • been on a spending freeze; as our main business slowed, and my shop was closed. I had to relearn a stricter level of frugality, which I was already feeling like I needed to do.
  • helped teach a sewing class and I teach in our homeschool co-op
  • decluttered a corner of my house that really annoyed me, and rearranged furniture.
  • spent hours researching t-shirts
  • watched some, ok a lot of, TV (Lark Rise to Candleford rewatch, season 6 of Call the Midwife, season 2 of Home Fires, season 2 of Man in the High Castle, season 1 of This is Us, season 2 of Shadowhunters)
  • rediscovered my love of thrift stores, though Torrid still tempts me
  • sold my rooster and two of my hens. I'm down to four girls.
  • gotten addicted to Amazon Prime Now for daily grocery needs. It doesn't fit in the whole frugality thing though, since it costs quite a bit more. 
I've realized FB makes me feel anxious. Being an empath, I absorb all of the stress, fear, and frustration that people post. I haven't been on Twitter in a very long time, but it does the same thing. Instagram creates a feeling in me that I have a harder time nailing down. I guess I'm repelled by how staged and polished everything is, and I just don't have time for that in my life. I think checking FB once a week from here on out would be okay for me. Maybe Monday mornings. It's not easy being a highly sensitive person. I don't think I can run my business, plus be active on social media. Running my shop creates a level of anxiety in my life enough, but carries reward enough to make it worth it.


Comments

Popular Posts