Queenhood Tuesday - Choosing Minimalism


I haven't posted one of these in a while, because recently, my house has only been a source of stress. I haven't felt 'queenly' about my domain for quite a while. But I want to.

This weekend, we repainted the kitchen from a green that has always been an off, slightly sickly color to a warm, neutral grey. It's definitely an improvement.

I decided to paint a couple of walls in the living room the same color. I got obsessed, and started moving furniture all around. When you begin to rearrange, you start to look at everything with new eyes.

----

I didn't think I'd name the year, but the word 'Adventure' came to mind.

I'm a nomadic person. I don't know if it's because we moved often when I was a kid, but I love the fresh start that moving brings. By going through all of the closets, and touching everything you own at least once, you re-evaluate why you choose to own it in the first place. We have lived here for six and a half years, and the accumulation of belongings (especially when you have no attic or garage space to store them in) is beginning to suffocate me.

Being tied down to stuff, even if it's good, useful stuff, stresses me out. We all hate cleaning. The constant management of our stuff keeps us from doing what we really want.

What would I rather be doing?

I want to spend as much of my time outdoors: doing archery, canoeing, planting herbs, riding my bike. I want to camp. We are looking for a '60s camper trailer to buy, so that we can travel more; even if it's only within a 3 hour radius from Fort Worth.

I want to have more space to create things, instead of consuming. I want to use my talents in service and worship.


So, with my word ADVENTURE as a guide to helping me sift through all the choices in front of us - I want to pare down. Even my precious book collection. I have a feeling it's going to take me months to get there, but hopefully I will be feeling lighter and more free by the end of the year.

Comments

  1. I've been thinking a lot about clutter and books lately as our bookshelves are near overflowing. If anyone wants to buy a book, they have to donate some books first to create the shelf space. I've decided we don't need any more book shelves and am utilizing the library more. I totally get it when you say the clutter is suffocating. James has set a good example for me by donating nearly all of his extra stuff - no more comics, magic cards, or other junk. He sold it all. I'd like to do the same with my extra but find that being nostalgic about a lot of it makes it harder.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts