Twilight is not a guilty pleasure

I think it's silly how people who like Twilight are shamed into secrecy. 

The rhinestone hoodie I made for the Eclipse premiere. I made New Moon t-shirts the year before.
 I've been a big fan of Twilight since seeing the first movie in 2008. Since then, I've seen the rest of the movies on opening night at the first showing. I've read all of the books several times. I follow and read 2 Twilight blogs. I know what the actors are doing in other projects. I know the scoop about filming, the directors and score composer names for every movie.

I'm a big fan of promoting what you love, instead of bashing what you hate. I don't need to rag on Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, or Game of Thrones because they aren't my cup of tea, even though everyone is constantly raving about those shows. But I'll tell you why I like Twilight.
  • Edward and Bella are flawed; they are not role models or heroes. He was once possessive, she was insecure, but they both overcome these issues as they are faced with numerous challenges and they mature together. I love young love. I met my husband at 18 and we were married at 20. We both had immaturity in certain areas and many personal failings, but we have grown up together and come so far.
  • The movies are funny. Sometimes intentionally, but sometimes not. I think they are the right amount of self-aware campy.
  • The main plots may be melodramatic, but I love Stephenie Meyer's back stories in the book: the third wife, vampire wars over territory, the immortal children. I don't find the story as shallow as many make it seem.
  • The story promotes married, monogamous relationships and a big arching theme is family. Any character would lay down their lives for another. Bella and Edward end up as committed, loving, and responsible parents. Who wouldn't want the support of their amazing extended family?
  • Twilight makes women long for handsome vampire men no more than watching The Avengers makes men want to suit up in spandex and climb skyscrapers. Let's just stop with that ridiculousness, please?
  • The acting is no worse than any of the Star Wars movies, and those movies are so culturally revered. (Anakin, anyone? "I slaughtered 'em. Like animals. 'Cause that's what they are. Animals. Not just the men. But the women. And the children.")
  • I like Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson. She's pretty, and he's handsome. I don't care that he 'looks constipated' or she has 'one facial expression' or whatever everyone says. I think they have chemistry, and I like them together.
  • The movies have good music. Not all of it. But most.
  • Bill Condon did a great job directing the last two movies. The last one especially was very aesthetically pleasing.
So, there you have it. It's not oh-so-sophisticated, high brow entertainment, but it's lighthearted fun. Not everything has to be obscure, dark, disturbing, or cerebral to enjoy. You don't have to like it - but let's show some mutual respect over the personal matters of taste and opinion, shall we?

Comments

Popular Posts